Re: Orlanthi Boasting

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:27:05 -0000

> There's actually nothing in the dictionary definitions
> of boasting which requires exaggeration. Arrogance and
> conceit yes, but they are socially acceptable in Orlanthi
> society. I think we must be imposing our social values
> which say that if someone praises themselves they must be
> exaggerating if not lying.

My dictionary (the Concise OED), at least, says that boasting is 'excessive' pride in one's accomplishments. Different cultures will have different values of 'excessive', of course, but while, as you say, exaggeration is not required, it *is* required that boasting include some degree of arrogance, and necessarily includes negative connotations. But, because our culture tends to value modesty over pride, there is no one word for 'reciting one's deeds with an appropriate and dramatic sense of pride'. Its certainly difficult to come up with a better word than 'boasting', for all its other connotations.

Right, that's enough Orlanthi for me for one day... I'll get back to thinking about the Rokari :)

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic