Re: Orlanthi Boasting

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 14:59:50 -0000

Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...> wrote:
> IIRC, there is a Humakti geas 'Never Lie', suggesting that some
> Humakti do lie (otherwise the prohibition would be meaningless).

As an aside the Humakti geas though probably Celtic inspired bears a lot of relation to the boast and oath. Note that Beowulf quote where he boasts/swears to fight Grendel without sword and shield. When thinking of a Humakti geas I tend to think of it as a boast made at a rite 'To please Humakt I will strive never to knowingly lie' and it is done to win the support and approval of the priests.