new guy here

From: Ivan <runequester_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 04:57:52 -0000

Hey all. Im a new guy just joined the list. I just obtained the Heroquest rules, and Im eager to try them out with my friends, but I have a million questions as far as the rules go, so Im hoping you guys might able to help out a bit.
I've played lots of traditional rpg's (including a ton of Runequest), but along with FATE, Heroquest is one of my first forages into more alternative and narrative games, so I hope you'll forgive if some of my questions are a bit daft.
  1. Im not sure I understand when the "parting shot" option in extended contests is used. Is it once the enemy is reduced to 0 AP, or after you succeed in a roll in the contest ?
  2. In relation to question 1, if Im reduced to 0 AP, but havent acted that round yet, do I still get to go ? Or is it not really "rounds" but just taking turns to try reducing the enemy ?
  3. Lets say Im using the list method to make a character. So I get to pick out 10 abilities that I want. If I want to have 2 retainers (say, two bodyguards), can I pick them as one "ability", or do they take two picks or ?
  4. I sort of get the impression that you can more or less define and create your own Homeland and Occupation keywords, but then, the book lists quite a few and gives fairly specific skills for them. Could someone elaborate this a little bit for me ?
  5. Am I right to assume that if I go with common magic, each of the 5 magic tricks will start at 17 ?
  6. The 20 points I receive to raise abilities can be used on both normal abilities, as well as specific abilities under a keyword, correct ? (so f.x. as a hunter, I could spend 2 points on something like Tracking, and that would give me tracking 19)

I think thats all for now. Thanks in advance!