Re: What's a Keyword?

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:39:03 -0800

YGWV
> On 1/15/07, Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...> wrote:
>> Quoting Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>:
>> > Sure, but if it were the case that Boldhomers couldn't farm, and
>> a character
>> > tried to use his Farming ability from his keyword? Then what?
>>
>> Again, Farming is an occupaton, not a cultural trait.
>
> I think some of the possible confusion here is that the Heortling
> Homeland Keyword (p. HQ48) contains the ability "Farming."

Interesting. I didn't realize that.

> It would be
> easy enough to replace that with "City Dweller" for a city dwelling
> Heortling, keeping the rest of the keyword, perhaps replacing
> "Farming" with "Agrarian (for most Heortlings) or City Dweller." Since
> the rest of the keyword is the same, there is no need for a new
> keyword.

I'd prefer to just change Farming to Rural in the Cultural Keyword.

>> > What about the
>> > Pol Joni? Or do they use the Praxian keyword?
>>
>> No, not by a long shot. They would have a PolJoni cultural keyword.
>
> Any thoughts on how the Pol Joni keyword would differ from the
> Heortling keyword, Greg (looking for your insight on this)? Some
> things are obvious to me, like "Ride (Critter)," but I'm curious if
> there's something special in your mind.

PolJoni Homeland Keyword
Occupations Available:Cavalry Soldier (weapon thanes), Entertainer, Healer, Nomad, Petty Noble
Native Abilities: Dragon Pass Geography, Prax Geography, JonP{oli Customs, Speak Sartarite, Speak Praxian, Wilderness Survival Men Only--Lance or Bow; and Sword Combat Women Only--Childrearing
Typical Personality: Fear Dragons, Hate Chaos, Hate Lunars Typical Relationships: to Ancestors, to Clan, to Temple Magic: Common Magic, Storm Pantheon

>> At some point similiar culures can be perceived as being diferent.
>> Esrolian and Heortling and Haraldings and Tarshites all have a lot in
>> common, but are different.
>>
>> The question is too broad or me to wrap my head around.
>> Are the AldaChur Sartarites culturally different enough to have their
>> own keyword? No, not to me. They are Heortlings.
>> The Volsaxi? To me, they are still Heortlings.
>
> A possible workaround for this last part (Alda Chur vs. Sartarite vs.
> Volsaxi) is to alter "Heortling Customs" slightly to "Sartarite
> Heortling Customs," "Alda Chur Heortling Customs" (and maybe "Alda
> Chur Alakoring Customs"), "Volsaxi Heortling Customs," etc. These
> abilities can then have penalties when dealing with a different but
> similar culture, probably only -5 for these three in my game. This
> keeps one keyword, with an ability change to "(optional subculture)
> Heortling Customs."

Yes. If yu wish to have such dificulties in your campaign, then this is a suitable solution.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford