Re: Augmenting

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:31:34 -0800

>>> when they're fighting inside
>>>
>>> Very bad example. Why would that even apply?
>>
>> You really can't see it?
>
> I thought of that kind of thing. It's fun and colorful suff and I'l
> love to see it in a game fight, but I don't think it's a normal kind
> of augment. I might allow it in a game if the player brought it up and
> had multiple examples of how the ability might apply to a combat.
> But as a rule--that anything can augment amything--I'd not go for it.
> Let the player tell me. Fine.

I agree with Greg here - the over-all fight isn't being augmented by the farmer's knowledge of what's in the barn, though he can use it in *specific circumstances* to get past some obstacles - losing a spear and grabbing a pitchfork, etc.

Just like me knowing my own home won't augment my entire ability rating if someone breaks in and fights me, though I know which drawer in the kitchen has the knives, and which stair is loose, and *may* be able to use those things to my advantage - *if* I get to the kitchen, or the fight moves up the stairs (which it *should* of course, as that's cinematic and heroic and fun...)

*BUT* - if the player can describe how his knowledge of farming should augment him in the barnfight *and* I agree with him, then sure, it can. But this is the whole "Yes/No but" rule, and narrator-player cooperation and all that, not a hard & fast rule.

RR