Re: Re: Need ideas for The End of The World

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:58:01 -0500

It's as dramatic as you want it to be. From your earlier description, it sounds like your players would find it anticlimactic, since they always wanted to fight him.

But you have said repeatedly that doing it militarily won't do.

So a few options:

  1. Do the hellcrack thing. It's a fight to a standstill, and pitting their martrydom against his. Also, they don't have to fight so hard he comes in, they can also persuade him to come fight them.
  2. As 1, except they convince him to jump into the hellcrack, etc. Combine fighting off his army with talking LDoaH into a new course of action.
  3. HeroQuest baby!! - Quest into a myth that can stop him. Something about an unstoppable foe. Or perhaps something about the Mirror of God's Purpose. (Anyone who looks into it sees God's true's purpose for them.) Something about the Knight of the Cataclysm. Something about Hrestol's Death. (After all, LDoaH also thinks of himself as a martyr.) Or whatever works for them. The heroes quest for this revelation/power what have you while their army fights a desperate defense of the path. (Maybe have the group go back and forth in their focus, as the path of the heroquest is shaped/shapes the path of the battle. After all, that IS the community they are getting support from, yes?)

Maybe LDoaH gets drawn into the quest, and you have your confrontation with him on the HeroPlane. Thus the answer is in myth and what it means, not in defeating him militarily; their very souls are at stake; the PCs are central; even if the final scene is talking, it is anything but anticlimactic.

Just my 2cents.
LC