Re: Re: Some Parameters for HeroQuesting

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:29:51 -0800

> The discussion about heroquesting to post-Dawn events is new to me. I had
> always thought that there was nothing new on the Hero Plane and these
> events were interpretations of pre-Dawn events that were frozen in the
> Hero Plane. Thus, for me, when someone talks about going to the Night of
> Horrors on the Hero Plane, they are actually using particular paths (the
> Lunar set, for example) to visit the Godtime events that the participants
> in the Night of Horrors used or recreated in the battle. They obviously
> go there understanding the Godtime events primarily (or solely) through
> the Night of Horrors, so they don't know the entire picture of the Godtime
> events and they usually take the steps needed to make the results very
> much like the Night of Horrors. However, the fact that they are partially
> ignorant leaves lots of room for accidents and otherwise MGF results. I
> guess my Glorantha varies.

A sufficient concentration of Otherworld Power can send a historical event into the Heroplane.

> So, just for example, the Battle of Iceland might now be a place on the
> Hero Plane? If I participated in a big way, can I go there and find
> myself? Can I get magic from myself? (Oh, great and wonderful me, grant
> me the powers I already have to smite our enemies.") Or, if I go there,
> am I always cast int he role of that me, even if I started off in a
> different ritual position? ("Oh, man, I don't want to be Smelly Dung-boy
> again!") Can other people get magic from that "me"? ("Don't ask your
> dad. Just go ask your Hero Plane dad.") Would I know it if they do?
> ("Dangit, boy, my ears are burning again. What are you up to?")

I'm not sure that there was enough "God-energy" at Iceland to "set" it into the Heroplane, but let's play as if there was :-).

I *think* (and since we're so off the rules here, I'll certainly let Greg contradict me) that if you, a participant in the battle, HeroQuest back to the battle, then you automatically [have to/get to] "play yourself" - your Heroquesting Self is mystically identified with your Original-participant Self. So if you were Smelly Dung boy at the battle, you will *always* be Smelly Dung boy.

Furthermore, I don't think you get to "change history" for yourself, either. If you had a hand chopped off in the first attack, every time you go back you have your hand chopped off. To go back into your own history is to relive it, not re-write it.

Other people (who weren't at the battle, obviously, otherwise they'd be forced to replay their own events) can go heroquest "as" you, and (if you have Magical Powers in the 10w4+ range and all that god-like stuff) can get magic from your "Heroplane self". I don't think you'd know about it (or be able to aid/hinder an attempt to learn from your Heroplane self). Fres, I don't think Yelmalio (the real god) almost dies everytime someone performs the Hill of Gold quest.

RR