Re: Re: Kalikos and the Icebreaker Quest

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 07:55:25 +0000 (GMT)

>> > Also, in Greg's story about Kalikos Icebreaker,
>
>> Where's this published?

>In the GTA Initiate Library.

Ah, thanks. So I can get at it if I want to, but it's Secret and definitely not one of the newbie-available sources we should be discussing on *this* list! OK. Ignored.

> >Quite possibly not, certainly not by that name, but
> >all we were told was "horse nomad", and Redaylde
> fits
> >that nicely. I'm quite sure Pent has (or had) a
> >goddess that more or less sort of fits a few
> aspects
> >of Vinga, even if no-one now alive would recognise
> >her.
>
> Only if the "horse nomads" concerned are theists
> rather than
> animists which most nomads seem to be.

And only if you're worried about that distinction, which only came in with HQ and previous sources ignore. Pentans worship, among others, Yelm by another name (Karzgant? sp?) and he was a god last time I looked. Alison's campaign has, IIRC, been going long before the 3-worlds Hair-split occured, so may well not be interested.

> Yet how much more interesting would a female spirit
> warrior cult be

In the wider Glorantha, quite possibly, but when we're trying to find Alison a Vingan Kalikos - no.

> There's also a mention of Kalikos Icebane in SoK.
> The
> Char-Un regard him as one of their heros and have
> managed
> to heroquest for plenty of practice spirits in spite
> of him being a theist deity

Ah. Proper available-to-all publication, and definitely "he"? Unless it's one of these "warrior therefore male by definition, ignore the anatomy" things, that sounds like a problem, at least if Alison is worried by varying too far from canon.

And in any case, any horse-nomad version of Vinga (well, more like a goddess that's derived from the same basic source as Vinga) will not be Storm Tribe, and will therefore not have the Defender Wind that was Alison's reason for the Vingan link in the first place :( Other means of dealing with ice, quite possibly, but not that one.

Also, her Orlanthi Vingans are going to have real trouble "proving" that the Kalikos Vinga is the same as theirs. Which they'd have to do in order to use the link to interfere. I'm not saying it's impossible, but tricky, yes.

Inbox full of unwanted email? Get leading protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html