Re: Enchanting?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:55:16 -0700

> Has there been any discussion on enchanting (by player
> heroes) on this list? I am interested in methods by
> which player heroes can create new, magically
> enchanted items.

We had rules fro enchanting in HW - Reduce the item to be enchanted to a complete defeat using an appropriate "Enchant [x]" ability. The item resists with a resistance depending on material - most mundane stuff is a 14 resistance, Iron or other runic materials would have a greater resistance - from Iron at +40 (ie, resistance would be 14w2 base) to +10 of Bronze (4w base resistance). other materials could be more resistance at the narrator's option (Dragon/Dragionewt skin or bones, etc).

Once the material is reduced to Complete defeat with "Enchant [X]", you need to get a Complete Defeat with the abiltiy you want to embue the item with. If you manage both complete defeats, the item "gains" the magical ability you embued it with at 12 (13 in HW). Spend an HP to cement it.

HW pp 232-234.

Not the *best* mechanics, but that's what we came up with back then.

Nowadays I might reduce the level of defeat needed (what with the difficulty of a complete defeat as noted on the Rules list), or come up with a different mechanic.

RR