Re: Enchanting?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 17:14:34 -0700

>> Has there been any discussion on enchanting (by
>> player
>> heroes) on this list? I am interested in methods by
>> which player heroes can create new, magically
>> enchanted items.
>
> Apart from the method RR describes, there's always
> HQing. You start with a mundane, prepared, object, do
> a HQ in which the protagonist ends up with a Magical
> Widget, and come back to find the magical powers of
> the Widget are now in your
> "here's-one-I-prepared-earlier" receptacle.

That's not *quite* the same as enchanting, more like "Borrowing a mythical aspect". There's also "Grab a Spirit in that has what you want and stuff it into your widget" - also called "fetishes".

Of course, Mining the Myths is one of the methods the God learners use to get magical widgets. In some ways it's easier to do than Enchanting - you don't need special "Enchant" magic, and you can power your way through a lot of myths by an over-application of magical force... Or, as I'm sure someone amongst the GL's calls it: "Shock and Awe".

RR