Re: Enchanting?

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:05:04 -0500

>From: "John Machin" <trithemius_at_...>
>
>What I'm curious about is how long people see these sorts of rituals
>taking?

That depends on how much time you want to take, and what bonus you need. Oh, sure, there's probably a "stock" version that takes X time. But mechanically a character can shorten this if they absolutely need to do so for some reason.

As for a standard lenght proscribed by tradition, I'd say that this largely will be in proportion to the expected resistance, and intended to lower it to a manageable level. So, for an typical opening ritual, where the resistance is 10W3, and it's expected to be performed by somebody who has 10W2 to start with their opening ability (the experienced Clan priest or something), and the other ritual bonuses for day and place, participants, etc, give +15 total, then perhaps they add on another +15 for time in order to get a 20W3 vs 10W3, which still allows a nearly 40% failure rate. To make it quite reliable, you'd need another whole mastery.

Using what else you know about the ritual, I think it's not hard to back-calculate the typical time involved. Note that for certain of these that I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they take weeks, months, or even years of continuous ritual.

How long did it take to raise the Red Moon?

Mike

Interest Rates near 39yr lows! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new payment
http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18466&moid=7581