RE: Re: Enchanting?

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:37:13 -0500

>From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
>
>I would handle 90% of "enchanting" by using the guardian rules. If you
>find an old "magic item," you need to create a relationship with the thing
>(spirit, daimon, essence) inhabiting it.

Yeah, the fun mechanical advantage here is that, for the cost of one HP to make the relationship, the character gets the abilities at the "actual" level of the guardian, whatever that might be. But they may only work intermittently. Which is also fun.

>Yes, but . . . . Charms and fetishes are pretty personal. If you take
>someone's fetish, it does nothing for you. I think the question was
>orieted more towards magic items that anyone (or at least a broad group)
>can use, like a magic sword stuck in a rock.

I think this is begging the question. Is there magic that "anyone can use?" Not according to Animism, no (though it does seem that making a charm for somebody is relatively trivial - I've allowed pedlers to sell them, for instance, rationalizing that the charm spirits are pretty indiscriminate, and simply serve whoever happens to be holding the charm at the time).

Even in wizardry, there's always the case where some item just doesn't seem to want to work for somebody, even if it normally seems to be the sort of thing that'll work for anybody.

>Yeah. Doing the Arming of Orlanth gets you his weapons. The thing is
>that, in the God World, a lot of those act actually other thesitic entities
>(god and daimones). So, for example, his sword "is" Humakt. If you do the
>Arming of Orlanth, you bring back a daimon to inhabit the receptacle you
>made before departing on the quest.

Yep. Now as to the rules that handle this... well, remember that the HQ Challenge rules specifically state that anyone can get any sort of magic ability from a HQ. So if the daimone seems to be a sort of Spirit Ally, that's fine. Basically purchase what you want as a sidekick or guardian or whatever.

>...The Divine Landscape and Spirit Landscape sections do not seem to
>contain a contest similar to the "Attune an Essence Source" contest found
>in the Essential Landscape section.

Well, no, but they already have specific contests for this. Binding for animism, and getting spirit allies for theism. No reason that this can't apply to landscape versions as well as otherworld versions. In fact, this is precisely what common magic charms are, if I'm not mistaken. A mundane world spirit that's bound into something.

>There's no specific rule on that (or at least not that I can find), so I'd
>use the "Befriend a Spirit" contest, which requires Follower of [Majestic
>Spirit], where the Majestic Spirit is the appropriate one.

Well, yes, precisely. Understanding that you always use this practice knowledge to bind, no matter the spirit, even enemies. The only difference is the resistance, per the chart on how much enmity they have for your practice.

>...That's a much more limited group than westerners with Venerate God.

Well, it does make certain spirits harder to deal with. Or, rather, it makes some spirits pretty easy to deal with (as opposed to essences which are difficult to deal with precisely in proportion to their power). I once had an animist roll well, and "snap-bind" (penalty for instant ritual length) this completely horrific bat demon spirit, as an alternative to having to face it's attack. And he then had the fun question of whether or not to keep it...

Mike

i'm making a difference.�Make every IM count for the cause of your choice. Join Now.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtagline