Re: Re: Enchanting--extended boring contests

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:33:22 -0700

So if there's some deep reason why we have to leave these as extended contests, the only
answer I have is to actually start the contest conceptually far before the magician begins to
work with the materials. The first few rounds can be determining the correct auspicious
days, gathering the right fuels, getting blessings from the priests, purifying himself and
his tools, etc.

I see no reason to run them as Extended contest if you don't want to - one concept behind HeroQuest (as opposed to Hero *Wars*) was that no contest should ever be specified as Extended or Simple - that's a decision made by the players, not the rules. The rules provide the framework of the contest - appropriate abilities, modifiers, and resistances, and what the consequences of victory or defeat should be, but how you use that framework is up to you.

So where, in HW, the Enchantment rules call for a Extended contest, in HQ you can run that however you want - Simple, Extended, Chained simple, or "No hero would ever fail".

RR