Re: Enchanting?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:34:02 -0700

> So, to answer the poster's question, that'd be the number of hours that
> the
> rest of the bonus indicates, plus any for any extra time that somebody
> takes
> to do the ritual. I'm not sure if the chart indicates such a bonus or not,

It doesn't.

> but I'd certainly give a bonus to a ritual that's done so carefully that
> it
> takes ten times as long as the minimum requirement.

A quickie thumb rule would be to use the Modifiers to Magic chart on 100, and play with the Duration column.

If you've got a Ritual that takes 7 hours to perform, but want to take more time, use the Modifier column as a Bonus instead of a penalty - if you want to do a 7 1/2 hour ritual, you get a +3 bonus. If you want to take a year to do the ritual, that's a +80 bonus.

Similarly, if you want to reduce the time, treat the "Duration" column as the amount of time cut from the time needed to do the ritual - if you want to do your 7-hour Ritual in only 6.5 hours, take a -3 penalty, and if you want to do it in only 1 hour (-6 hours), take a -12 penalty.

As I said, this is only a quick thumb-rule, and doesn't cover all eventualities, and I'm sure I could come up with another chart given thought, but who has time for *that*? :-).

RR