Re: Beast Valley Tradition

From: sarahnewton111 <sarah.newton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 11:03:33 -0000

Okay... not exactly been inundated with comments, there... ;-)

Here's my very first stab at a very skeletal Beast Valley Tradition writeup:

Beast Valley Tradition
The Spiderwoman

Abilities: Beast Valley Tradition Knowledge Virtues: Surrender to the Wild, Hold Self in Check Core Practices:

   Arandayla Practice (Great Horse Spirit - centaurs): Mare Spirits, Stallion Spirits

   Tamar Practice (Wild Beast Spirit - satyrs): Animal Passion Spirits (Lose Self, Thrill of the Hunt, etc) Other Practices:

   Tara Practice (Lady of the Wild Spirit - shamanic): Wildness Spirits (Merge with Rock, Run Like Water, Jump Like Wind) Tradition Spirits:
  Animal Spirits: Deer Spirits (Run Silently, Hide When Still), Beaver Spirits (River Eye, Hide in Water), Salmon Spirits (Breathe Water, Jump up Waterfall), Bear Spirits (Strength), Owl Spirits (Night Sight), Porcupine Spirits (Protection), Snake Spirits (Viper Bite), Wolf Spirits (Terrify Prey, Run All Night), Hawk Spirits (Ignite, Farsee), Woodpecker Spirits (Ironbite)   Wilderness Spirits: Boggy Ground, Choke with Vegetation, Crack Carved Stone, Disrupt Road, Freshen Air, Hard as Stone, Purify Water   Special Spirits: Orest (Fertility, Strength of Earth), Wingkoalad (Bring Storm, Lightning), Kanvak (Shadow) Great Secret: Return to Life Through Hecatomb Charms and Fetishes: ?
Other Side: Green Age
Disadvantages: ?

The main problem I'm having is deciding how the various types of beastmen relate to the Tradition. In the above, I've plumbed for a "one practice per type of beastman" solution, which seems a bit clunky and artificial, but not too bad when you put it next to the Animal Spirits and the "Special" Spirits like Orest and Wingkoalad.

I've plagiarised loads from Grazer info, reasoning that there would be some degree of identity, at least in perceptions of the Majestic Spirits of the tradition (like Arandayla, etc). If I do ever get this thing written up, I'll be sure to include credits for the bits I've nicked!

I've avoided Ancestor Spirits - they felt a bit strange. Also, I've put Tara as the shamanic practice, though I think you could argue a case for putting Ironhoof there.

Have I managed to spark any interest yet? <g>

Cheers,

Sarah