Re: Conflicts, contests and heroquests

From: newsalor <newsalor_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:41:10 -0000

> Or at least, where the outside "actors" are less
> personified, perhaps? I suspect Ernalda would
> encounter drought, rather than Daga or a dragon.

Yeah, but wether they are personified or not, maybe Ernalda would triumph by passive means - by learning, understanding or enduring something or by counceling others. So we would need a contest or two to solve those.

>> or I could have the player decide what revelation
>> the character has and give some sorts of bonuses
>> to different kind of contests based on that
>> revelation.
>
> Could you give an example of this? I'm not quite sure
> what you're getting at.

Ok, let's say that our Issaries heroquester has been talking to different tribes during his heroquest. Now the tribes of gods have been warring and stuff despite common enemies. Let's say that after visiting the tribes and being attacked I'll say that "Then Issaries realized something deep." Then I'll let the player say what Issaries realized.

The player could respond in many different ways.

"Peace is not possible without Honor."
"You find a Friend and you find a Treasure."
"Peace and Cows are the same thing."
"Three are needed to make Peace."
"Talking holds the world together."
"Bigger enemies means new friends."
"Orlanth is stoopid."

Now there are different versions of the myth, so in one story Issaries would talk to Heler and Orlanth before and after their fight and Heler would join the Storm Tribe, but in the other version Issaries would echange gifts between the tribes, get gold from Elmal, wool from Heler, a promise from Orlanth and healing from Chalana Arroy. The first version would help fiding allies to fight against common enemies and the second would help heal the world, relationships and stuff.

It would be up to the actions of the character in the heroquest, which way the quest would go, but certainly all sorts of realizations would help achieving different things. I could either give +X to situations implied by the realization or I could make a contest out of how strong the realization is and give bonuses to later stations. Roll Devotee of Issaries + augments against the difficulty set by how fitting the realization is. "Orlanth is stoopid." would be more difficult to pull off. Notice that "Peace and Cows are the same thing." would propably be less useful in getting Orlanth and Heler join forcers.

Olli Kantola

--
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to
kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.