"Window-dressing" around HP spend

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:59:11 +0100 (BST)

When someone spends a HP to change a result, how do you narrate it?

The way I've tended to look at it, a Hero Point represents the sort of thing that happens because you're the hero, and the plot is on your side. Not because you're skilful, more because you're lucky. So you fall over in the dark and find your hand landing on a small gold ring. You round a corner in an unknown town and bump into a friend you haven't met for years. When you jumped out of the window, there was a cart full of hay passing at just the right time to break your fall. The barman decides he adores you (Luv at first sight - how sweet!) and helps you hide.

Now, some of these have potential long-term consequences: and I tend to allow that same HP to "cement" them. The ring, the relationship (probably not the cart). They might be useful, they might be flaws.

That's all for physical contests: for more abstract ones, how about a new way of looking at the problem occurs to you? An Insight, or something? And again, I'd tend to allow that as an ability thereafter.

Anyone got better ideas?

Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07.html