Re: "Window-dressing" around HP spend

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:31:15 -0700

Jane

>You seem to be making a distinction here that I don't
>see the point of, narrowing down "you" to the singular
>and then seeing player narration as something
>different? What's the importance of who does the
>narration?

IIRC, you play primarily electronically; our games our face-to-face. That's a style difference right there...

The standard HeroQuest practice is that the Narrator, um, narrates. Since spending a hero point lets the player briefly directly control the plot, it seemed appropriate to let them narrate briefly. It also avoids the problem of HP use being a dry call of "Bump!"

> > (As a guideline, I
>> suggest drawing on an ability that could augment the
>> action, even if
>> it wasn't actually used for whatever reason.)
>
>But those are all things that the PC does, rather than
>ways in which the world/plot changes to suit them?

If you can think of something cooler, by all means feel free! These are guidelines for when you can't.

--

David Dunham