Re: Public School Magic- HQ meets Harry Potter

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 22:30:16 +0100 (BST)

> I hadf two hours ot come up with something. I did
> not want to have to
> introduce a lot of rtules complexity, but my
> thoughts turned to HeroQuest.

It does fit that.

> and asked them to come up with ideas for two
> contemporary British 12 year olds.

> I chose the 100 word narrative method of character
> gen, then selected
> "skills", "relationships" etc from the list.

> Keywords were a problem - I just
> dispensed with them,

No keyword for "British"? I suppose there's no need, you all know what's in it, no need to write it all down. Occupation: schoolkid: again, no need.

> They could have up to 5 minor
> magical powers each - but only choose two each as
> they found that worked
> with their character concepts. ..
> their magics began at 17 (as Common Magic).

I was wondering how you'd handle Harry Potter-style magic in HQ. I take it they can use CM actively? What do you do about Wands?

> each House (I hope you
> understand the concept) would have its own Keyword.

(nods) Makes sense. Each one has a reputation, even if the members don't get any actual skills from them. "Famed for being sneaky" rather than "sneaky", sort of thing?

> We played an hour past our usual end time, and both
> players were very excited by the possibilities of
> the HQ system, even in
> this very basic form, and really enjoyed it.

Great! Did you do an extended contest at all? That's what tends to lose people, I've found.

Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07.html