Re: Concentration handling

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:58:27 GMT

In message <D73F449F4DFD7646A599257AA3263606029B8FA1_at_...> "Posselt, Theo &#92;(US - San Francisco&#92;)" writes:
>While greg has said that he'd eliminate it, I'd keep it in, but modify it.
>
>Basically, instead of having a simple concentrated/not concentrated flag,
>iI use another trait (e.g., 'Worship: pantheon', if that's the right
>terminology) to AUGMENT relevant magic and HINDER other magic.
>
>Beyond that I always make augments depend on how specific the trait is.
>A very specific augment is worth more than a general one.
>
>So Orlanthi A with 'Worship: Storm tribe 20' gets +2 to storm tribe magic,
>-2 to other magic. Orlanthi B with 'Initiate of Humakt 20' gets +4 with
>Humakt magic, maybe flat with other storm tribe, and -4 with non-storm
>tribe (and maybe more with diametrically opposed magic).
>
>What I like about this is that it's more fluid, less of an on/off switch.

You can already use the "worship" or "initiate of" trait in any relevant contest whether concentrated or not. And it could be a penalty in certain contests such as "Convince Lunar Officer you're just a simple farmer".

If Gloranthan reality is that concentration is a step on the road from initiate to devotee then I'd give just keep the bonus to improvising feats (-5 rather than -10). Then there's a slight benefit to compensate for losing other magics but not enough to make it heavily influence character choices.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/