Re: Let's show rather than tell (was Re: Preparing for play, how I do it)

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:15:02 -0400

On Sunday 21 October 2007 1:48 pm, Jane Williams wrote:

> The easiest example I can think of (because it's one I
> was reading up on a few years ago) is the problems
> people had in the Victorian/ACW period in spotting
> what gender someone was.

<fun historical examples snipped>

*nod* OK, so "here is your world" and present things in line with that.

Now, for any of that to be interestng, you have to show how it isn't true and put that into conflict. So the PCs need to be hooked into that somehow.

> Quite how this would manifest with the Rathori I have
> no idea, but if their expectations of the world differ
> markedly from reality, they may well see what they
> expect to see, not what is. The world has changed,
> they have not.

OK, so what changes do we have? What would they expect to see vs what is there? They went to sleep during the closing, so presumably there is a bit political shift.

The moon isn't new, if I remember the dates correctly.

One idea that occurs to me is that whoever they ally/fight with should have changed markedly. If there was a simmering feud that winter they went to sleep, then waking up to have it be a half-remembered memory by your opponents could be interesting.

Or a marriage? A ritually important marriage?

> A rational response would be "oh, look, things have
> changed", but since when have people been rational?
> And this, IIRC, is the people who produce Harrek...

Indeed it is. Did the people as a whole all wake up at once? Did tribes wake up separtely, as the ban thawed out it pieces? Is this pre or post-Harrek? (Should we avoid that question like the plague?)

A piecemeal wake up gives us some Rathori who have adjusted to meet - some who refuse to - and people who loathe/fear/follow Harrek to meet.

A "this is the first wake up" gives us people re-encountering Rathori for the first time in generations - putting both sides in equal confusion/misunderstanding.

LC