Re: Durbandath

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:31:56 +0000

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:36:00 +1300, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:

>>And is Durbandath not a Solar Deity?
>
>It depends on what you mean by Solar Deity. Do you mean
>one in the Celestial Pantheon like Deshkorgos or a Sun
>God like Elmal? Durbadath is yes to the former and
>quite possibly yes to the latter, considering his radiance
>affinity*.

Right, agreed there. I can see there being an 'excuse' for allowing a Durbandathi around if we were Elmal-oriented. Of course, the cult writeup being only recently published (and that an unofficial version) we have no PC Elmali. However, a point to consider.

>>Can a Durbandath Devotee, on her
>>own, worship Durbandath do a degree that would fulfil her devotee
>>requirements?
>
>All devotees can AFAIK but they require some material support
>in doing so. I'm not too sure about what the story is with
>initiates however...

This is about what I thought, they can be good Durbandathi, but can't really fulfil their cult requirements without others of their kind around. In old-fashioned terms, you can't perform temple duties if there's no temple.

>>Would worship of Durbandath be acceptable to a Heortling clan?

>But beyond the Tula, perhaps in lands they claim is there's
>but disputed by somebody else, they might not have too much
>trouble with a strange god.

I see what you mean, the actual worship wouldn't be on clan territory, but I was thinking more about the fact that the Durbandathi herself would be living in the clan. As you say, depends on the clan. Considering we have a couple of other oddballs around (although I was trying to keep a more 'closed' campaign than we used to...sigh...) she could retain her devotion, although might lose her actual magic.

>*one could argue that the radiance affinity is a mark of
>subjection to the Emperor of Dara Happa and that other
>Durbadathi subcults teach something different (from AR p86,
>they could include the wild lion, servant of Carmanos, the
>rebel).

Considering she was trusted with the task of guarding a Lunar attack on a Vingan HQ, I think she'd be in some fairly loyal pro-Lunar group. Or maybe not... maybe that's why she was so easy to persuade to join us?

Wulf