RE: Re: What's The Story? Under the Red Moon Challenge

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:10:02 +0000 (GMT)

> In message
> <784048.86512.qm_at_...> Jane

> >> Assuming the cleaner is literate enough to
> recognise
> >> which bit of paper is a record of the ritual as
> opposed
> >> to the laundry bill.
> >
> >Basic literacy comes as standard in the Lunar
> Empire, remember.
>
> No it doesn't. It comes as standard for ordinates of
> the Seven Mothers cult

That covers your cleaner.

> and pretty much expected for everyone
> at the ordinate level in Lunar cults

And that covers just about anyone else we might be interested in.

>I'd

> suggest that one of the big things the 7M cult
> offers to get
> followers is "The secrets which your rulers are
> hiding from you in the written word".

Nice idea: so anyone who is even starting to distrust their rulers, is literate. Fine.

> Not really thought about that. Could be an Esrolian
> sent
> by the Grandmothers to run the whole thing. Or a
> Sartarite
> who Kallyr doesn't like. Or a Tarshite who really
> thinks
> she can do it but needs support. Or all three. Maybe
> Kallyr
> has called on the PCs because she doesn't trust the
> motives or the abilities of the alternatives.

> >> Or maybe they gang up on Kallyr and get
> >> her to do it their way.
> >
> >Now that's a scene I'd love to see.
>
> We could set this up for Continuum - you play Kallyr
> and we
> find a few other people to play other roles. Need a
> bit of scripting beforehand but could be fun.

Why me??? (Don't answer that question). Make sure all our grain priestesses, their husbands, and the turncoat Lunars are pre-gen PCs, make sure you've got someone (possibly run by you) who can keep Kallyr reined in a bit, and this could be a lot of fun. Actually, if I run her + unobtrusive followers, and have a sign to hold up saying "Ernaldesta whispers in Kallyr's ear", that might deal with the "reining in" problem.

> >> Just as Kallyr can swap
> >> from Vinga Vangarth to Vinga Dar Ernaldesta could
> >> swap to Esra.
> >
> >That wasn't a trivial swap, you know, and I don't
> >think swapping to Esra would be, either.
>
> I'm not sure about that, Ernaldans usually switch
> from Voria to Ernalda and then Asrelia.

And while it can be done, and is normally done, I don't think it's trivial.

> It's probably a matter of learning time - building
> up
> your ability level in a new aspect is going to be a
> long job.

Yes.

> >Ern could
> >take the role, but an expert would do the job far
> >better - what would you give her, -10 improv
> modifier?
>
> I've not got a feel for modifiers and it probably
> varies between groups. But I think I'd go for -20,

Actually, so would I, I think that was a typo.

http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/