Re: Scoured augments (from HQ rules - Equipment)

From: Jamie <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:18:50 -0000

Jane wrote in response to Matthew:

> > Augments have to address the Goal. That's it.
> >
> > Not merely 'help the Main Ability succeed in the
> > goal' but 'help me towards the goal'.
>
> I'm not sure I see the distinction here. Could you
> give some examples?

This really shakes down to how much you focus on conflict resolution, in our play we have often used conflict resolution but still drifted into tasked resolution habits, leading to skill focused contests and augment scouring. Whenever I find myself scouring my sheet it is usually a result of being too focused on the activity and less on the story behind the roll at hand.

As a quick example take a sword fight between clan champions with the goal, 'Get the enemy tribe's champion to back down in the fight in the interest of peace'.

This is clearly a situation that is Conflict Resolution centric, and the contest is going to centre on the fight, but there are at least two ways to handle it:

1 - focus on fighting as the main skill and augment with everything that you can tie into either the martial contest and the political situation. [Skill: Sword Fighting. Augments: True blade, Recognise enemy fighting style, Hate enemy tribe, Relationship to tribe, Peace lover, Political intrigue]

2- focus on the political situation and leave the fighting to narration colour. [Skill: Political intrigue. Augments: Relationship to tribe, Peace lover].

The second one might feel odd because the actual fight is the central contest but the dice roll only resolves the political situation. However, the fight can be used both to colour the contest and to help differentiate between contest results.

For instance on a Marginal Victory we could narrate a victory towards the goal but narrate a loss in the fight to help represent the marginal nature of the contest: "you fight valiantly but loose on points due to the enemy champions underhand tactics and clear disregard for fairness, some of his tribe realise that you were cheated out of a rightful victory and are swayed towards your cause".

Jamie
http://emergentstories.blogspot.com/