Re: is there anybody out there?

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:25:07 +0000 (GMT)

Well I can only speak from personal experience but I certainly post less to all the lists. Why?

First of all I still play HeroQuest on a regular basis, in fact we have two new games starting soon, one of which will be a playtest of my Coming Storm material (the Red Cow, but 20 years on from my last release, including the Cinsina tribe, Jonstown, Jomes, etc.) which I am trying to get a complete ms to Rick for Continuum, although likely to still need HQ 2.0 fudging.

So I certainly am not posting less because I do not like Heroquest or because I moved to Runequest.

However, I do have less time than I used to, and once I allocate some of that to writing for Moon Designs etc. I have less time to chat. The electronic world competes more and more for my attention with blogs etc. So Glorantha's slice decays.

I find the level of debate here fractious and frequently frustrating. I embrace YGMV and dislike GaG, and I get bored with the canonistas shooting down ideas or frettting over discrepancies between King of Sartar and Orlanth is Dead. So I find it disheartening to discuss ideas here, knowing the grognards are likely to launch into the attack like a pack of hounds. I don't find this list particularly interested in exploring the storytelling approach to gaming instead seeing it firmly stuck in gritty sim, and prefer venues like story games for its dicussion of those areas.

So as my time reduces I find that the grognardization of these lists has meant I pay less attention. I know many others who have dropped off simply because they dislike the tone of the lists themselves.

I would like to see this list revitalized by seeing it focus on actual play leaving rules to hq-rules and glorantha background to wog. I would like to see this list be about what happens at your table, how you use glorantha to game. This was always the remit of this list, to focus on play. Sadly it seems to have drifted into how to slam down others play as not conforming to obscure document 13.