Re:Gamers percieved issues with HQ/HW - a sample

From: Namgyal Chatral <namgyal_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 14:30:53 +0100

Interesting post - interesting enough to make me want to post for the first time in months. The following bits of your email were not about game mechanics, and they struck a chord with me. Some fair old time ago there were posts about 'getting people involved in RPG / HQ' and it generally slid into folk saying 'how wonderful Griffin Mountain was when it came out 300 years ago' and wondering 'where have all the new gamers gone?'. I commented that there is a paucity of 'plug and play' scenarios/campagins for HQ, with the vast bulk of material being background related. For me, this chimes with 2 and 5 (below). My comments received no replies (not that they were necessarily worthy of reply) and the dialogue on the group mostly became somewhat philosophical and esoteric about 'what makes a good scenario' and 'how wonderful Griffin Mountain was when it came out 300 years ago' (did I mention that before?).

Meanwhile, because I have limited time, instead of running HQ (which is a shame because I love Glorantha) my gaming group has spent 18 months with 2 GMs running Feng Shui. . . basically because we're busy folk and don't have time to write scenarios and there are scores of 'plug and play' scenarios for Feng Shui.

Next up I'm likely to be asked to GM, and I'll be running Traveller, not HQ (which is a shame because I love Glorantha) because I have a bunch of plug and play scenarios ready to use for it.

The last time I ran anything Gloranthan was about 1998/9, when we ran RQIII / Griffin Mountain, which *was* wonderful. . . but did come out 300 years ago. . .

2. The Scenarios in the main HQ rule book did not appeal much, and we could not find anyready to run. This one surprised me, especially considering White Wolf products are very successful without scenarios, but maybe people need more ideas on what can be done with the system? 3 people said this, and that was the biggest surprise to me.

3. We find the Gloranthan community and background too esorteric and ancient lore reliant, and "elitist", and have been made to feel like idiots for rmaking mistakes by players who knew it better than us, or just could not learn enough to feel confident - 2 people, slightly different but I put them together in this category. One of them felt alienated from the lists, and seemed to feel themselves a victim of "Gloranthan politics" - they were quite aggressive in tone, and I narrowly escaped having to hear the whole story.

5. I could not work out how to write adventures for it.

--
It has removed 6913 spam emails to date.