Re: OFFLIST: Re: Re: The Purpose of this List

From: Raymond Turney <raymond_turney_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:35:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

As an American, I can say one should never underestimate the insularity of Americans.  Even now, the Atlantic and the Pacific are wide oceans.  Over here, the government is really keen on Musharraf, and wants to make friends with India at the same time.  The possibility that since Musharraf commanded the Kargil operation {a sort of half war with India where Pakistan invaded part of Kashmir and nothing else in 1999}, the Indians might not trust him much seems to elude the US government.  This point is a lot more obvious than the fact that wog is an old British ethnic slur {I think it is now "Paks" or "Pakis", but I'm not  up on British slang} is less obvious than the Indian  problem with Mush, and Greg's acolytes are not foreign policy experts.

As for being obnoxious, well, I've been around since RQ I  Gloranthan politics was annoying then, and it is annoying now.  The name of the WoG list may be the least obnoxious thing about it.  Our game just uses what seems interesting and ignores the rest {including the list}.  After all, Glorantha is an imaginary world whose author does not worry much about consistency; and it is not in our power, or possibly even in our interest, to impose consistency on him.  If someone on the list says our game is so different from Greg's vision that we shouldn't be calling it Gloranthan, I just shrug and ask what else is new.

Life goes on.