Re: OFFLIST: Re: Re: The Purpose of this List

From: Raymond Turney <raymond_turney_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 00:30:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Yes, Glorantha has an "author", singular.

Greg has legal control over what you can publish, etc.  If I were to try to write, say a third lunar book, it would have to get through Greg.  It might happen, but judging by what happened to the ILH 2 authors, I wouldn't bet that it would happen in a time frame and at an acceptable cost to me in sheer aggro.

Yes, a lot of good material has been published within the Glorantha framework.  But then, Poul Anderson wrote a very good book in the Conan line; Robert Jordan has written some excellent books that {unlike Poul Anderson's} styistically Conan books, etc.  Conan is still Robert E Howard's creation, and you cannot use Conan or Cimmeria without the approval of the estate.

My point was not necessarily to suggest that you need to adopt my cynical attitude towards Glorantha {whether this is appropriate depends on what Glorantha means to you}. My point was merely that a lot of negative things have happened related to Glorantha over the years, and the fact that the list was created in an undiplomatic fashion and has a maladroit name is probably one of the less significant negative things that have happened.

                                                                       Ray,

            >... Greg's acolytes are not foreign policy experts.

"acolytes"? what a word! Good choice, but yeuck....

and as I say, it would take a few seconds to ASK. You know, as in communicate. ...

> After all, Glorantha is an imaginary world whose author does not worry much about consistency;

Author, singular? There are a lot of Gloranthan authors. Most are pretty good. Those who do not even "worry" about consistency - well, if they're not consistent with Glorantha, not much point in reading what they write. So I don't. I certainly don't pay money for the "privilege". Whether or not your personal game is consistent, and to what degree, is irrelevant as long as you're having fun (you know what changes you've made, you can allow for them), it's when you're writing for the benefit of others that it becomes essential, otherwise the material isn't going to be usable.

Anyway, we have BoG... and the new stuff coming up looks pretty good, too. I'm definitely hoping for example scenarios in the new rulebook, if only as examples of how the rules are intended to be used.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.

A Smarter Email http://uk.docs. yahoo.com/ nowyoucan. html