First time here in ages...

From: ranyart1 <lawrence.whitaker_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 08:09:09 -0000

As I'm now deeply involved in HQ, I thought I'd sign-up to catch up with what's happening in the HQ community.

Have to say I'm saddened by the recent 'The Purpose of this List' discussion and the abbreviation of 'World of Glorantha'. Do you know, I've been on that list for a while and NOT ONCE have I ever sat there and thought to myself, 'Hey - it can be abbreviated to WoG and that's just plain racist'. Not once.

Jane, with all respect, I think you've blown this right out of proportion and it seems to me that the opportunity for rational discussion about HQ2 and Pavis is being derailed in favour of something that might be of supreme importance to you, but really doesn't matter at all.

I'm sure that there are dozens and dozens of acronyms out there that might have unfortunate connotations in every language, from English through to Swahili. But to infer that the choice of the World of Glorantha name was deliberately made to offend is... well... words fail me.

So, any chance of a discussion about HQ2, or do I need to call in the Commission for Racial Equality?

Sorry to make my first post like this, but I really AM stunned at the direction of the conversation!