Re: Games for wee beasties

From: Michael Demetro <gamer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 12:24:18 -0400

That was great.

I think people on the kids-rpg list started by Sandy Antunes of rpg.net would LOVE that and appreciate you telling them about HeroQuest if you would. Almost all of them are running D&D or debating which White Wolf game to use (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage or Exalted?). I remember my reaction to 1st edition Vampire when it came out (clunky Shadowrun with d10s and a pretentious Goth metaplot setting I don't personally relate to). I remember thinking the setting was a matter of taste (although metaplots make some people feel forced to buy tons of books to keep up) but the mechanics were awful. Although later editions did smooth the mechanics somewhat imagining people throwing away the setting and using a White Wolf game only for the mechanics gives me shudders.

The list is for people who roleplay with their kids or intend to. I joined when I was with an ex-girlfriend who had a daughter. I stayed because it is interesting. I cannot so much tell them of my success with HQ and my kids but I can hope you will.

Here is the info:

  Hi All,

  Yesterday I introduced my girls to Heroquest, at the tender ages of 7 and 9   they have mithered me for the last year to let them play. They are of course   far more accomplished at role playing than any adult, as they do it in   almost every game they play.

  My oldest daughter had spent days on her character, she drew pictures, wrote   stories and developed complex abilities for Emmiludu the Sorceress, a   Unicorn rider from the dark forest of Hallam's Wood, who was orphaned as a child   and was raised by the elves of the forest. Her winged cloak, twin swords and   cunning potions were lovingly drawn in detail. Although my favourite ability of   the character was "Bizarre but stunning haircut".

  My youngest produced Sarah the Dragon Rider, like her big sister's character   this was a magically inclined character, but with a more martial bent. Her   dragon Emily was a cowardly beast, who enjoyed nothing better than a good hot   curry at which Sarah was accomplished in producing. My daughter created a   good backstory, a clan of dragon riders who lived in a smoky castle and would   come to her aid in the direst of need.

  I initially kept the story simple, they girls had been called to aid in the   rescue of Matilda the mayor's daughter. The girl was supposed to have   wandered into the forest with a local boy and not been seen again. However the   story quickly became more complex as I began to realise that the girls could cope   with more complex plots. In fact the mayor was being blackmailed by a troll   called White-Eye, she had never gone to the forest but had been snatched from   the river, Norbert her boyfriend was a river man. The girls hunted for clues,   confronted the Mayor about his secrets, and set upon a quest to find   White-Eyes lair. They befriended the local Marsh people and traded with them to look   after the Unicorn, before assaulting the island.

  White-Eye was a big gruff fairy tale troll, all threats of stew pots and   bashes on the heads with his club. He was aided by four goblins Flinch a   Magician, Squinch and Grinch both Warriors, and Pinch a Thief. At first the battle   went well, I decided that all violence would be comedic, non-violent and in   the manner of a good fairy tale. The HQ mechanic works wonderfully for this,   all as I had to do was describe the defeats in an appropriate manner, so Grinch   had his bum burned by the dragon and ran away etc. However as in all good   stories the girls were temporarily defeated, captured in nets and hung up in a   cage in White-Eye's cave. Matilda was a slave in the trolls kitchen and not   too happy with the girls. The girls realised that they could use their small   and skinny skills to wriggle out of the cage after several other escape   attempts failed. They fought the goblins, this time victorious.

  The final battle between White-Eye was handled by my youngest, she pulled   off a complete victory, pinning the troll to the wall with her sword and   demanding that he leave the kingdom forever. In true roleplayer fashion the girls   looted the dungeon and rescued the girl.

  I used simple contests in the main, we did a couple of augments and hero   points were a mechanic they both understood easily. Okay so this wasn't   Glorantha, but the game was great. It took less than an hour, which was long enough   for both girls, but they desperately want to play again. They readily burned   hero points to develop relationships with Matilda, the Marsh People and the   Town's People. They quickly followed the mechanics, the rules of gaming and   Heroquest let me run "Thier kind of game" rather than forcing them to play my   kind of game.

  I heartily recommend you try this with your kids, even if it is just to   have an hour of solid attention with lots of laughter, smiles and gasps. My   youngest daugter has literacy and speech problems, but I am convinced that the   game brought out strengths I have never seen in her before. I cannot wait until   next time.

  Simon

URGENT NOTICE!