Re: Re: Removing the 'smell of wee' from HeroQuest

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd01_at_...>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:01:40 -0600

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 12:52 PM, ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...> wrote:
> I think it would have to be done with the assumption that the PCs were
> almost always the instigators.

The chart shows the word "Player," not the word "Instigator" - so it could be interpreted to allow the PCs to have the advantage in the case of tied levels of success, maybe as a form of narrative privilege.

> Like David, I don't think this would work for most groups. Though,
> evidently, it does work for some, which is useful to know.

Unless allowing the PCs the narrative privilege supposed above, I prefer using "high roll wins in case of tied level of success" - because "high roll" wins actually gives advantage to the higher adjusted rating. (I'd also not allow a mere Tie for mutual fumbles, but that's a minor detail.)