Finally playing HQ2

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:26:23 -0400

So after much delay, a move, and a desperate job hunt, I managed to sit down most of the players of my Space Opera-ish game, Unfettered Space, and start playing again.

Originally launched under HQ1, I left the country after only a few sessions. It got some sporadic play on visits, with another rule set, and now is being re-tooled under HQ2.

The players are a little annoyed with having to constantly re-write their character sheets, but I have assured them I'm not changing systems for a while. (Hopefully I am not lying.)

CharGen for the new player and re-doing the old players took longer than I anticipated, as people still have a lot of trouble wrapping their heads around how different it is. I think this is mostly holdover from playing games in other systems, but I definitely need to find a better way to explain/introduce the concept because it does seem to really be an issue. The prose method just scares the hell out of them, despite my assurances, and the list method often results in people afraid to commit to a list because then they are out of abilities. (Or listing very banal stuff.)

I have assured them we can tweak the sheet later as they grok the system more.

I started the game more or less keywordless, but I think I might switch to a loose umbrella because they'll get it better. Especially since the keywords are often made up by them to include some specific elements
(home planet of one has resulted in her having good lowlight vision, but
brittle bones) and jotting them down for subtle modification might help them feel they've got a better handle on what those mean.

I am only just getting used to the new lingering benefit rules, and so last night's brief romp was a bit slapdash in their application.
(Getting them back in the feel of the world was more important.)

Digging in again feels good, though, as re-reading the book has reminded me of all the elements I like in the system and want to start taking advantage of to apply in sessions to come.

And, of course, I have always been fond of the system's penchant for producing abilities such as "There. I fixed it." for a technology-hating bruiser who thinks the best way to get recalcitrant machinery to run is to hit it with his fist. :)

LC