Re: Re: Sartar Kingdom of Heroes vs the other published material

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:14:29 -0500

  Douglas Seay wrote:

> Two years doesn't matter that much for a source book, does it? For the
> adventures, sure. But not so much for how to play a Heortling in
> Sartar.

Wouldn't seem so. Pre-invasion would be the only significant difference, I would think, and even then not so much.

> The main difference seems the rules, especially with HQ1's
> focus on subcults, and HQ2 focus on runes. I haven't noticed any glaring
> differences so far, and it just adds to the YGWV.

*nod* This does seem a major shift, however.

> > The Whitewall book (coming out late next year after Guide to
> Glorantha - sorry, I can only work on one book at a time) massively
> expands upon the material in the SR campaign and cover the years
> 1620-1625 in the style of the Great Pendragon Campaign.
>
> Then scrap all effort any wasted on Prax or Pavis and get going on this
> ASAP. I'm far more interested in hairy barbarians than unwashed nomads.
>
> :-)

While Whitewall would be fun, I'd actually like getting the nomads since I haven't seen them since I found Glorantha with HQ1. :)

> > Cults are presented quite differently in SKH but the material is
> broadly compatible. However, TR and ST are out of print and are not
> relied upon or refered to in future releases.
>
> Eh. Isn't part of the magic of Glorantha hunting down out-of-print
> works?

Magic? I wouldn't use that word. :-)

> Obscure references mentioned once in some fan press have been
> around as long as I have. That is part of the power of Peter Metcalfe's
> vast knowledge of Glorantha. If everything is in print, he might be out
> of a job.

I sometimes think Glorantha would benefit from a "re-imagining" along the lines of BSG. :-)

> > Definitely wait until you get SKH. Although it is based on the one
> in King of Dragon Pass (as was the one in OiD), the SKH clan
> questionaire is specifically designed for the new HQ2 community
> resource rules.
>
> I agree 100% with Jeff on this one. I really liked the questionnaire
> and clan generation in S:KoH. I have nothing against the older ones,
> but I do think this is better.
>
> -

I've heard this from a number of places, actually. So that seems pretty much a no-brainer. :)

LC