RE: Re: What genres and settings are you planning for HeroQuest?

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 18:54:50 -0000

Something we're about to start the last phase of:

The Hobbit.

Players play dwarves and a hobbit (female). One person plays Thorin. Same mission, everything else is up for grabs. Setting is as you'd expect. I'm calling the genre: "The Hobbit".

I'm looking forward to playing the Elvenking's Halls, which is next since Thorin and Company have just been captured fleeing giant spiders.

Only one player (Thorin) has read the book, amazingly. It's excellent fun, I think largely because of this and because the genre is retaining the overtones of a Tolkien children's book.

Amusingly, they lost Balin in the Goblin's Caves and Thorin decided not to go back for him! Acceptable losses indeed!

Anyone got any ideas how to run scenes with Smaug?

Cheers