Re: Re: heroquest with lunar gods

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 10:01:14 -0400

I have been pondering Greg's posts on this thread and I think I understand the problem a bit better now. Lets find out!

Most heroquests where questers get pulled in together are ones that exist for each culture/group, like the Hill of Gold. There is a Troll version and a Dara Happan version, etc. because it was a God Time event. Each quester regardless of background also needs the quest to play out in more or less the way that it did in the myth. Lunar quests like that of Yanafal and Humakt aren't like that - they didn't take place in God Time and there is no corresponding non-Lunar myth. This is one of the advantages of being weird rule-breaking Lunars. It can also be a disadvantage because the non-lunar individual drawn in to play a roll has no motivation to play according to the Lunar story. In fact, he has every reason not to!

A Humakti cultist might get pulled into the Yanafali quest, and I suppose that he could set things up so that is more likely, but I don't think he could force it to happen. The best he could do is attempt a Humakt myth (like Leaden Cross) and try to draw his enemy into a role in that myth. That wouldn't be the same thing as fouling up the Yanafal Defeats Death quest for the Lunar quester, but the effect could be similar.

Maybe each quester can be enacting an entirely different myth? The Yanafali tries to make the encounter be part of Yanafal Defeats Death and the Humakti tries to make it be Leaden Cross. This has a bit of the feel of a HQ2 feat where two devotees in a fight try to identify with their myth as closely as possible while forcing the opponent to break that identification.

I also think that you don't need to pull an enemy in as the main opponent, but might instead try to identify your enemy as one of the small side challenges along the way. That might be safer. In mortal world quests this probably happens a fair amount (and frequently not on purpose) but I don't know about quests that take place in the Hero Plane. I assume that only people who are also heroquesting can find themselves facing other questers.

-Kevin McD