Re: Animist

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 18:03:11 +0800

At 5:37 AM +0000 19/10/10, Jeff wrote:
> > I've just got a player who wants to start a Kolating.
>> So, I understand how theist Sartarites work in HQ, and I
>> think I understand how Shamans work. But not quite sure how Kolatings
>> work, which I imagine works somewhere between the two. Ie do they get
>> three Runes like other Sartarites? I guess so. But then is his Kolat
>> Tradition a separate ability? Or perhaps he can use his Spirit Rune
>> as his Kolat tradition score?
>> I guess it will become clearer when the Sartar Companion is
>> out. Which is real soon now.
>
>Which is today in PDF format. You can get it here:
>http://www.glorantha.com/wp/?p=1415

        Hurrah! And a very fine book it is too, which both answered most of my Kolating questions, and got me very inspired about running the Colymar campaign.

        It did still leave me with a Kolating question, though.

So, both the main rules and the Kolat writeup say that a spirit society member can use their charm abilities directly, but always as a stretch (so effectively, at -6. And I'd really rather the rules just said 'always at -6 if that is what they meant).

The rules say that a member of spirit society can release a spirit from its charm, using use of that charm for the remainder of the session. But the Kolat writeup does NOT say this. Is this an unintentional omission, or is the Kolat tradition really more limited than other spirit traditions? I'm assuming the former.

And FWIW, anyone give me an explanation of why they get that stretch/-6? It does seem a bit crippling that spirit magic are always trying to overcome obstacles at -6 compared to equivalent divine/sorcery magic users. Unless they intention is that spirit magic users are usually using their charms in 1-use mode in any significant altercation (which also seems a bit harsh compared to other systems, but less so).

(In either case, it sounds like a shaman who wants to not have their arse regularly handed to them in a combat would be wise to consider investing in some abilities besides charms, such as Followers/Allies)

Cheers

        Dave