Re: OK - another Question...

From: Bo <lorgryt_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 08:14:51 -0800

Two answers on this:
  1. Doesn't come up.
  2. the default is 6 if the character has no training.

Now to explain. The system give a base of 6 to do something the character has no experience in, but it also creates a situation where the creativity of the player and narrator are more important than stats on a sheet. The two questions always asked are "How does this help or hinder the story" and "is that credible?"

Sometimes, the character has nothing applicable and the story won't suffer from a failure so you have them try against a 6. Sometimes the story needs them to succeed so you let a credible use of an ability even it that credibility is tenuous. (Remember, just because it worked once doesn't mean it works all the time.)

And, yes, I see "Fit as a Fiddle" to be a credible climb skill. But, if a player in the group has "Climbs like a Monkey" then "Fit as a Fiddle" is not as good... that all gets explained in the book (and it one of the better parts of the game IMO).

As for the modifiers... um... they are rare. What is more common is the Narrator looks over the situation and story and assigns a opposition that fits the needs of the game and story. Higher if it should be hard and they don't mind of the character dies, low if the opposite is true. Then they dramatically describe (nice job, by the way) the results.

Also, remember that a Keyword is not an Ability. It is a collection of them in one of three forms. A list of starting abilities with values assigned, a list of abilities that are raised individually OR a list of abilities that are collected under a raise-able keyword. And the system allows for a "Keyword Free" process that works fine.

Also, the constant encouragement of this (and all) systems is to modify it to your play style. Which means every thing I said is law if you want it to be, or trash if you prefer! LOL What every makes your group work and happy is what you use.

Bo