Inspirational reading etc. for a Pavis campaign

From: newsalor <olli.kantola_at_...>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 20:42:09 -0000

Hello All,

I'm tackling a new challenge this autumn - I'm going to run my first Pavis campaign. The new book is all cool and shiny. I liked it a lot. The street maps I didn't like, but I understand why they needed to be there.

I've previously run games two campaigns set in Sartar and one campaign set in Kralorela with HeroQuest, so I'm not hesitant on the rules side of things. However, I do need a bit help with getting into the genre.

The feel I get from reading the book is that I'd like to approach Pavis from a fantasy noir western angle. :) The PCs are probably going to be some kind of lowlifes like criminals, veterans, ne'er-do-wells, or foppish no-good sons from rich families.

I'm probably going to watch Deadwood and Gangs of New York and read some hardboiled fiction, W. R. Burnett perhaps. I'll think I'll read the first Sanctuary book too.

Would you guys have any good pointers on appropriate novels or films I should check out?

What would you include in a Pavis bibliography + cinematography?