Re: Inspirational reading etc. for a Pavis campaign

From: differentcomputers <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 01:10:28 -0000

Any and all Raymond Chandler.

More generally, focus early on. Pick one major villain for the Heroes, then work out from him/her/it so you understand how the Big Bad controls the people who the Heroes think are the Big Bad. Layers in layers.

Consider whether the Big Events are going to be background or the sorts of things the Heroes will be pulled directly into. If it's the latter, then one of your heroes could be a last Arrowsmith scion, or Argrath of Pavis, or attuned to the Ghost of Genert, or some such.

Also, think hard about whether the game will emphasize New Pavis, Prax, or the Rubble. These are three potentially VERY different settings, with very different feels to the games.

Personally, I encourage you to embrace and extend the great heroic plots for Pavis:

The Cradle
Expulsion of the Lunars and destruction of New Pavis Rebirth of the Old City
Renaissance of Trade (especially rice/grain from Kralorela to Sartar) Restoration of Genert
Return to the Green Age and disappearance of Pavis from history

All that said, as I mentioned in earlier posts, my Pavis is much weirder and more magically significant than that described in the Pavis books.

Mike Dawson