Re: Clan description

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:29:08 -0000

Wulfc wrote:
> I'm about to start a description of our clan, and have a few areas
>of doubt.

>How far apart would steads be?

The clan generator is useful here, as is the write up that goes with it.

'A hide is about 120 acres. The average Sartarite tula is about 240 hides big'

and

'Your median population is determined by your land use: cattle production supports 4 people per hide, cultivation 8 people, and hunting 2 people per hide.'

Once you know how many people are in a stead, you can figure out (from their type of farming) how much land it takes to support them. Depending on the terrain you have to decide the amount of 'waste' in and around steads, but it should put you in a better position to figure out seperation.

If your clan is small

>But how many buildings per stead? One longhouse, or more?

The numbers in are TR: IIRC 10-15 per longhouse, 1-12 longhouses per stead. I imagine the variation in stead size is geography in history, around the far place we have those big steads where everyone gathers for defence, on the rich plains steads might be smaller. How fertile is the land, what is your history of violence?

> Would the family head have his own accomodation?

His longhouse would be the best in the stead (First Hearth?) and he almost certainly has cottars to do a lot of the tasks around the stead for him.

> Would all be within some sort of defences, a ditch, stake wall,
>etc?

Two issues:
- how often do you need to defend yourself, were you ever wealthy enough to afford to build them;
- the Lunars did you rebel against them, they might have forced you to take down your fortifications.

> I am working with a central area with the chief's
> hall, weaponthane's hall, stabling for them, and a few significant
> nobles, blacksmithy, etc.

(redsmith <g>)

TR has a lot on the buidlings of a typical stead, of the chieftans' stead etc. If you want some historical color I like:

How Would You Survive as a Viking? Jacqueline Morley ISBN: 0749635053

>I think the weaponthanes would have a hall

TR mentions this IIRC

> Would devotees of various cults just live with their
> bloodlines (as they can't support themselves, probably yes)?

Yes, Devotees need someone to support them, family or more likely a thane.

> Would nobles move closer to the chief?

No idea, my guess is not hard and fast rule, probably dependent on politics as well.

> How about Humakti - probably apart from the bloodline, but with the
>weaponthanes, or separate again?

Either, I would have thought - think about Jeff's Speed Bump Stead posts.

> Would Uroxi even stay within the clan?

Depends how much trouble they cause..

Ian