Re: Praise and a few questions

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 23:28:55 -0500

At 02:41 PM 03/06/2001 -0500, KYER, JEFFREY wrote:
>rmv1_at_... wrote:
>> 5. What happened to associate gods? No more lending powers to the
>
>You don't get that anymore. You can use Divine Aid.
>
>> other gods in your pantheon, I see. Or is this still practiced
>> somehow, and I've overlooked it? This would drastically affect the
>> powers of some of the old RQIII gods and the shape of their cults,
>
>Yes. It has. Much of the game has changed. However, subcults and
>herocults are a mainstay which adds flexiblity to the various cults.
>But on the whole, the single rune-spells are dropped. Divine Aid is
>usable by and for anyone in the pantheon, which is nice -- you can get
>help from gods you never could in the RQ -- like Gustbran or Uralda.
>
>> since some of them depended heavily on other gods to beef up
>> otherwise small selections of powers, i.e. Pavis, with his elemental
>> affiliations. Or is this being changed to a new understanding, where
>> these connections and stolen powers are being made more integrally a
>> part of the cult?

I may be reading too much into this, but on HW p. 181, a hero may learn magic from a subcult or hero cult without recording membership. This "not recording membership" implies no time commitment (and this implies not joining the subcult), since only the learned magic is recorded on the character sheet. This could be a way to learn some magic from associated deities. You could convert from RQ directly just by assuming that there is a subcult for each associated deity and just learn their magic without joining. Of course, this should be done in a logical way in-game. I haven't seen anything in TR to contradict this yet.

Thanks,
Andy