Re: Illumination

From: Thomas McVey <tmcvey_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 12:14:23 -0800

> Message: 8
> Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 10:05:37 +1200
> From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
> Subject: Re: The Way of Illumination
>
> Pierre Pradal:
>
> >I think ('xcuse if i'm wrong) that Illumination is like Awakening in
> >Buddishm (so an Illuminated is like a Buddha).
>
> Illumination is an incomplete form of Awakening.

I don't think we yet know what illumination really fits into the four systems of magic, and hopefully the Lunar book will clarify (or more probably open up yet more

questions).

IMHO, it's not just Zen-Buddhism lite. Unlike the mystics, it isn't a refutation of

the world, it's a refutation of *beliefs* and world-views. It's Buddha--Pyrrho-Neitzsche-Feyerabend-Derrida all mixed together. Making it an "incomplete" form of mysticism misses that illumination doesn't believe in the unreality of the world, but instead that the ways of making sense of that world are

all contingent.

It's a mystical skeptical pragamatism, and might be contrasted with the cynical exploitative fanatism of Arkat.

In RQ, illumination was an advantage because it allowed ransacking of cults for spells without reprisals. Now, given one doesn't need Sever Spirit to take down that big Zorak Zorani, but can instead mortally wound him with witticisms from one's affinity from the subcult of Oscarlanth Wildus, there isn't as much of an incentive to want raid multiple cults for neat spells. So while I understand the game-balance reason why illumination might be recast as a handicap (to prevent munchkinism), it doesn't quite make sense to me under the HQ rules.

What do you think?

BTW, Peter, your e-mail is bouncing. Time to make more sacrifices to Issaries.

Tom