Re: Re: Heroes and Gods

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 11:13:21 -0700

> > > I suggest that maybe the Narrator Book is a bit misleading on
> this
> > > topic...
> > >
> > > Gian
> >
> > The narrator book has less to do with mainstream Malkioni and more
> > do with Black Horse County. Love Thy Neighbor is not precisely one
> of
> > St. Atrox's strongpoints by any stretch of the imagination.
> > Flagellation and penance, they do well. But not much in the way of
> > outreach. Think Cromewell's Puritans or Calvininst -- with heavy
> > cavalry.
> >
> > Jeff
>
> I see.
> Another DragonPassism, eh?

Jeff isn't entirely correct here - The info in the narrator's book was written ex nihilo - we had never really had a good explanation of the Sorcerous Other Side, and our understanding of what it is, how it works and what it looks like has improved greatly in just the year that HW has been out. It was also written as a broad-brush explanation - as there are many ways of worshipping the Invisible God, it follows that there are many ways to view the Other Side.

The analogy I usually think of for the Sorcery Plane is the World Wide Web. Sorcerous nodes are "homepages" for the saints/founders, with links leading to spells, the Invisible god, etc. A grimoire is your "Favorites" listing - a list of addresses for the spells you want. Get a dot or slash out of place, mispell a word or leave off the correct format information and you can't see what you want. Some practitioners use the equivalent a windows-based brower to get to where they are going, some use macintosh, and some linux (religious wars among OS zealots can get as heated as those between real religions!). Most people don't write their own code, relying on their religion to provide the "template", some are old-style hackers that experiment and write code "the old way" (Zzabur and the Sorcerers). There are other parts to the analogy that I'm sure you can figure out :-).

Now, what does the "Other Side" look like? well, what sort of connection do you have to it? Is it a nice graphical interface, or are you using Gopher from a text-based terminal? Do you have the equivalent of a t3 line, or a 300baud modem (I had one many years ago!)? Are you a "tool maker" or a "tool user" - do you "write your own code" or just use what someone loaded on your "interface"? Is your web the old days of the Arpanet and BBSs, or the 'net of cyberpunk scifi?

RR