RE: carrion birds

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:39:49 -0500

Mikko Rintasaari says to

Gareth Martin:
>> Do carrion birds have an association with Humakt? Specifically crows and
>> ravens?
>
>Ravens at least. At the disastrous crowning, that lead to the forming of
>the Household of Death a flight of ravens fell dead at the feet of the
>prince.

        That's a shabby way to treat your associated animals; I'm sure PETA wouldn't approve. On the other hand, Humakt has a limited range of reactions; maybe killing things is his idea of saying "hello." On the other hand, maybe it was Eurmal all along and the House of Death was just a ghastly joke -- think about it: amazing power, but a complicated set of rules that's likely to screw you up at a dangerous point, plus a lot of shouting and murder.... Eurmal would love it.

>Also in KoDP we see the EWF era Ravin Banner, sacred to Humakt, that
>guarantees victory in battle, but cost's the bearer his/her life.
>
>(I wonder how to translate this to HW rules. What does the banner
>actually do?)

        I'm not sure game statistics are particularly appropriate (though Mr. Kyer has given us some good ideas). After all, it's not like the characters are necessarily going to have their mitts on the banner for long ("You carry it." "No, YOU carry it."). How does the banner work? You win the battle, the standard bearer dies. Simple enough. Now, the question is: do the GM and the players agree on what winning means? Is it just driving the other side from the field? Is it obtaining some objective, and, if so, who decides? Really, I think it's best left as a story effect rather than mechanics. But that's my gaming style speaking.

Peter Larsen