Re: Eternal Battle

From: e-g_at_...
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 19:09:32 GMT

Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...> writes:

>I've unfortunately never seen a writeup of this praxian phenomenon.
>Especially now, that it has been revealed to be of such importance to
>Urox/Stormbull I'd really like to read the original description (and new
>ones too).

"The Eternal Battle is a phenomenon which is particular to Prax. The natives all fear it, for it is a battle of immortals and the doomed fought since before the Dawn of time. Learned scholars from other parts of the world who have observed, and survived, the phenomenon say that it is nothing less than the great battle where Ragnaglar and the Devil fought against the Storm Bull for the fate of the cosmos. They claim that the Eternal Moment when the non-sequential reality of Godtime was destroyed (usually pinpointed as the moment that the Spike exploded), the critical events of the Battle were frozen in non-time, despite the new reality of linear reckoning. There would seem to be some truth in this, for the descendents of the peoples in that battle are able to call forth their ancient kinsmen from the fighting. If they are lucky."

Rules summary: the Battle moves randomly around Prax. If it moves adjacent to a unit, that unit must roll a saving throw or be absorbed into the battle and removed from play. Emissaries can be sent into the battle deliberately: if they survive, they may return with a unit of Ghost Warriors ("bodiless beings from non-time, elementals and liberated seers, dead mortals, unborn sylphs, animated ectoplasms") or Bodies of Old ("Silver Age warriors... made-warrior allies, lesser races of the gods like the Aldryami Lords or the Longears").

Stephen