RE: Keeping abreast of Uz developments

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:21:49 -0400

I'd said :

>Funny that you should mention that but way back in the "glory days" of RQ2
>wrote up a cult called the Brotherhood of the Sacred Search which was a
>troll cult of males only that was dedicated to reversing the curse.

>I'm not that the idea still flies these days but it might make a weird but
>interesting troll mystic brotherhood instead of a cult. I've still got a
>typewritten (shudder) copy of the original somewhere. That just tells you
>how long ago it was.

To which Peter Larsen replied :

 > Sounds more like a heroband to me, although it could certainly be Mystic.
 > The members would probably have a hard time of it; fertility strikes me as

 > a female issue for the Uz -- males being good for one part of it, but not
 > much else. So they would fall somewhere between the "Good Son" Kaarg and
 > the "Bad Son" Zorak

The rationale was that males are expendable on such a dangerous quest while females aren't. These trolls were expected to go everywhere including Solar areas and were amazingly diplomatic and friendly to non-trolls for uz. They had a lot of martyrs too:-)
The hard work of actually questing to restore fertility once the three things were found would of course have been turned over to females and they would all have gotten a nice pat on the head for their years of hardship and sacrifices.

I like the idea of their being a heroband though. I was entering it into my computer sometime ago and here's the tiny bit I got through before I got distracted if anyone's interested. It of course follows the old cult format :
Brotherhood of the Sacred Search

  1. Mythos and History
  2. Before Time

There was no need for the brotherhood Before Time

B. Since Time Began

The Brotherhood of the Sacred Search dates back to the Gbaji Wars when Naxili Garang failed in her attempts to break the trollkin curse. Although she was broken by her efforts (Trollpak 2nd edition p.16) she determined that through the acquisition of three mystical tools she might have a better chance of breaking the curse. "One is a set of adamantine claws which Gbaji wore when he ripped Korasting from shoulder to shin, for only the tools which wounded the goddess can ever heal her again. Second is the Otherworld Cloak which would allow Kyger Litor to avoid Gbaji's deceitful embrace and deceive him the way he deceived her. The third is to rediscover the lost verse of a song which Kyger Litor used during pregnancy which will make their children once again into whole mistress trolls." (Trollpak 2nd edition p. 29).

Oliver