Re: Out standing in {his/our?} field

From: gjr_at_...
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 16:40:52 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 bethexton_at_... wrote:

> I was trying to script a portion of a scenario set in typical
> heortling farm fields, and realized I had no idea what typical
> heortling farm fields are like.
>
> I'm going to speculate a bit and ask some questions to go with it.
> If you happen to know of a good reference point for all of these
> questions feel free just to point me in the right direction and
> ignore all this.

I'd start from the (real world) definitions that the size of a field = what you can plough in one day and length of field = what you can plough without stopping. Beyond that it depends on the terrain, soil type, etc.

Multiple fields may be near each other, but would be unlikely to actually touch, with scrubby, unploughed land rather than actual hedges or fences dividing them. The same person probably doesn't farm the same field year after year, with division of who gets what field each year determined by drawing lots, local high-ups decision, or (for MGF) some sort of competition.

Based on what we know of Saxon farming practice.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stableyard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net