Ring composition [Was: Thunder Rebels culture question]

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:51:31 +0100

John Hughes wrote:
> The definitive source is still King of Sartar (252), and the relevant
> sections of TR are based on this.

> The Inner Ring are usually seven, and are chosen by the chieftain. They are
> the clan decision-makers and advisers. There are 3 main forms:
>
> Traditional - reflects the deities of the Tribe of Storm and Earth. Orlanth
> the chief, three gods (Barntar, Voriaf, Odayla) and three goddesses
> (Ernalda, Eiritha, Esrola). Other possibilities are Heler, Humakt, Urox,
> Yinkin etc.
>
> Lightbringer - seven officers of the Inner Ring. The heads of households are
> collectively the Ginna Jar. Five of the seven are fixed: Orlanth, Issaries,
> Lhankor Mhy, Good Chalana, Eurmal. Other positions have flexibility, and are
> often filled by an ancestral hero ('Flesh Man') and a goddess such as Vinga.

Those KoS descriptions of ring compositions made much sense in RQ era Glorantha, but what are we to make of them now we have TR? In particular I have in mind the numerous Orlanth and Ernalda sub cults, and the rarity of direct followers of the other gods and goddesses.

Is the 'Odayla' seat on a traditional ring usually taken by an Odaylan, or more usually by a follower of Orlanth the Hunter? Is the 'Lhankor Mhy' seat on a Lightbringer ring usually taken by a follower of Lhankor Mhy or by a follower of Andrin the Lawspeaker.