Re: Re: OT: Electronic episodes

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Thu Sep 16 11:42:17 2010

Benedict wrote:

>> PDF's are useful in that they are harder to >> manipulate and plagiarize.

> PDFs are less useful in that they are harder to
> manipulate and add to.

Heartily seconded.

Why this unspoken assumption that giving purchasers something *useful* in electronic format would be a Bad Idea?

Steve Jackson Games practically *give away* electronic draft manuscripts for all their GURPS books long before publication, for a trivial fee ($15 a year? Less than the cover price of one hardcopy book, anyway, and you get a great weekly e-zine thrown in), and don't seem to be going out of business.

PDFs make Narrators' lives more difficult. They don't prevent dissemination of unauthorised copies at all. I agree they're pretty, but I don't think that's the be-all and end-all of the argument.

Cheers, Nick