RE: OT: Electronic episodes

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 13:56:59 -0400

Andrew Barton said :

> > www.tekumel.com (a superb site well worth a visit BTW).

> I went and had a look immediately. The first thing I saw was:

> > You'll require the latest browsers to fully enjoy this site ... a
screen
> > capable of thousands of colours or more is highly recommended.

> Irritating and liable to put off some users. If you need to be able to
see
>the diagrams to get access to the material, the site may be in breach of
> both US and UK disability access law.

 The first bit's undoubtably true, you really do limit your audience by requiring the latest browsers, Flash, etc. but ADA, the Americans with Disabilities Act hardly covers web site access issues. No one's ability to work is threatened by this web site and I'm pretty sure there are no laws requiring entertainment companies/sites to make their sites easily accessible. Web accessibility issues are covered by guidelines not laws. No it doesn't pass a Bobby test (a free service testing accessibility http://ww.cast.org/bobby <http://ww.cast.org/bobby> ) I checked, but they're certainly not breaking any laws unless there's a country out there that's very enlightened.

Oliver